beeptwo

Monday, November 05, 2007

Bonfire Night

First, let's get the formalities out of the way.

Bonfire Prayers

Please to remember the Fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent
To blow up the King and the Parliament
Three-score barrels of powder below
Poor old England to overthrow
By God's providence he was catch'd
With dark lantern and burning match
Holloa boys, holloa boys
Make the bells ring
Holloa boys, holloa boys
God save the King!


Needless to say I'm not going to Lewes Bonfire tonight (since it's half past two and I'm still in Flitwick). I didn't go last year either. I miss it, but not enough to travel all the way down there, especially since I'd have to go on my own.

Also, part of the reason is that I realised last year that a large part of what I miss are things that I can't get back. I miss leaving home straight after school to drive down to Lewes. I miss having dinner at Grandma's, and Dad setting off fireworks in her flowerbeds, and her giving us pennies to put in the collecting boxes and telling me to put my hair under my hat. I do love the processions and the fireworks and the bonfires, and if I could magically transport myself around the country by clicking my fingers, you bet I'd be at the Borough firesite at 10pm tonight. But for a two hour drive to Horsham, then on to Lewes, then nowhere to park, then standing around in the cold for three or four hours until the processions start, then trying to find my way around Lewes in the dark, it isn't worth it. Not this year, anyway.

Last year was the first year I didn't go and it was a relief in some ways to break the chain, to not feel that I had to go just because I go every year. I certainly hope I'll go again at some point in the future. I suppose for the moment I'll make my decisions one year at a time.

3 Comments:

  • At November 05, 2007 6:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Everyone knows that its not a proper fireworks display without a funfair!

     
  • At November 05, 2007 7:47 pm, Blogger Helen said…

    Yes I feel fairly happy to have broken the routine too. I didn't like it when we went a couple of years back and it was very busy and felt quite threatening, and I thought 'I don't have to be doing this at my age!' Dad has gone down tonight, leaving about 7:30pm, as he isn't going into town but is going to park on the outskirts and just go to Borough bonfire. He hopes that he will be able to get out and miss all the traffic too. Perhaps we will all be back one day. xoxoxoxo

     
  • At November 06, 2007 1:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll go with you next year. I missed it this year and I like celebrating bonfire night properly :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home