beeptwo

Monday, September 04, 2006

Spot The Kitty - Round II




This morning something happened which made me wonder whether this has ever happened to anyone else. It has happened to me once before so I will talk about that time first.

When I was in my final year at UMIST I shared a house with Rey. One weekend she had gone home, so over Saturday night I was alone in the house. I awoke on Sunday morning and found that I couldn't move. I could see the room and it was completely correct (not like in a normal dream where things aren't quite right), but I couldn't move my arms or legs, or turn my head, or speak. Then I heard a man's voice out on the landing (on the other side of the wall my bed was against) saying my name over and over. I knew that no one else should be in the house and I was completely terrified. I tried to move or shout but I couldn't and this voice kept saying Anna, Anna, Anna. Eventually it stopped and there was silence. I still couldn't move. After a couple of minutes I heard footsteps going up the stairs, then the bathroom door open and close, then a short while later the toilet flushed, the bathroom door was opened and closed again, and the footsteps went back downstairs. Once I had calmed down I fell asleep again and when I woke up next everything was normal and I got up. I was so freaked out that I couldn't stand to be in the house alone so I left and went into the city. That was about 3 1/2 years ago.

So this morning Mark got up about 6:40am and left for work a bit after 7am. I don't have to get up until half 7 so I stayed in bed and dozed off. A few minutes later I woke and couldn't move. I was lying on my back with my head on its side, facing the window, and I could hear someone breathing. I knew they were standing by Mark's side of the bed but I couldn't see them and I couldn't turn my head. I was really scared and I tried to shout and scream but I couldn't. I told myself I needed to go to sleep again so that I could wake up properly but I was too scared of the man in the room. Eventually I did fall asleep though. And I'm pretty sure I'm properly awake now.

From this page:

'Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone, most often lying in a supine position, about to drop off to sleep, or just upon waking from sleep realizes that s/he is unable to move, or speak, or cry out. This may last a few seconds or several moments, occasionally longer. People frequently report feeling a "presence" that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. The presence is likely to be vaguely felt or sensed just out of sight but thought to be watching or monitoring, often with intense interest, sometimes standing by, or sitting on, the bed.'

I had assumed that they were just unusually realistic dreams but this Wikipedia article says that during sleep paralysis you are actually awake, but the bodily paralysis that you have when dreaming has persisted. The article adds that people often hallucinate. I have been on my own both times but it would be interesting to know how a person who is having such an episode is perceived by someone else.

I know this has happened to Rey once, after she had taken something to help her sleep. Has it happened to anyone else?

3 Comments:

  • At September 04, 2006 8:07 pm, Blogger Helen said…

    ooohh Anna that is really scary. Talk to Jen when she is back because she suffers from sleep paralysis too and says she dare not go to sleep in the day because it is too scary. I think that you are really asleep and dreaming but your eyes are part open, and you can see the room. Hopefully you will forget about the scary bits. I think puss is hanging from next doors washing line. xoxoxoxoxoxo

     
  • At September 05, 2006 9:59 am, Blogger Helen said…

    I am sure your cool scientific brain will tell you the noises were not what they seemed - the 'Anna' was probably the rhythm of your breathing and the other noises extraneous noise which your brain changed into something else. The breathing in the bedroom was actually your own - I have experienced something similar then woke properly and realised it was me. I am sure you are actually asleep or on the verge of sleep, and this is why you do not wake properly in fright and just go back to sleep. This only happens during day or early morning when it is light, so your eyes are open and can see the room. I suggested to Jen that if she wanted to nap during the day to use an eye shade but don't know if she ever tried it. Of course if you are afraid of it happening again the only thing to do is get up with Mark when the alarm goes off!

     
  • At September 05, 2006 7:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's happened to me too and it was horrible!!!!! I think kitty is under a plant pot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home