Lots to write about today
Yesterday was thrill-packed so I have a lot to write. The good thing about this blog is that I know that however much I write at least one person will read it (hi, Mum!).
So yesterday I had a meeting about this pie website. I have spent the last fortnight or so programming it and it does lots of cool stuff but all they cared about was how it looked. It's nice that they took my word for all the programmed bits but I was looking forward to demonstrating it and showing off a bit. It's not live yet but as soon as it is I will let you all know so that you can go and look at the pies.
The meeting was at noon and it was very quick so I was home by 1pm. I got changed and had some lunch, then I had a bit of work to do before Mark's parents arrived at about 2:30pm. We all walked up to the station and got the train into Kings Cross. There, we took the tube to Covent Garden and walked down to Charing Cross, where we met my parents and Mark's sister Susan. Mum and Dad had been to Tate Modern and to a crypt. Susan had just finished work.
We went to the Pizza Express on the Strand. They had my favourite (cannelloni with spinach and ricotta) and it was very nice. Then we had ice cream and I got chocolate sauce on my arm and Mark laughed at me. Mum told me about how they are going up to Coventry today (Friday) to look at the hotel that Jen and Ram are booking for their wedding next Easter. She has promised to take some photos for me because the hotel website doesn't have very many.
And then we walked down the Strand to the Adelphi Theatre and saw Evita. It was very good. I had seen Evita before, a UK tour in about 1995, but I couldn't remember a lot of how it was staged, although I have a CD so I know all the words. We have the film on DVD as well but I'm not fond of it as they made a lot of cuts. I was pleased because the London show was very close to the original show. Although, one thing - on my original concept album, there is a song called Eva's Sonnet, which is a proper sonnet (14 lines, ends with rhyming couplet etc) set to music. And in the show, the programme said 'Eva's Sonnet', but she only sang the last half of it, therefore making it NOT A SONNET. Hmpf.
The woman playing Eva, Elena Rogers, was very good most of the time, and is a fantastic dancer. Her voice was a bit screechy at times though and occasionally her accent (she's Argentinian) was a bit much. Philip Quast as Peron was excellent. And Matt Rawle's Che was a bit wimpy at times but he grew on me and in the end I think he was very good as well. And so were the ensemble (the girl playing Peron's mistress had a lovely sweet voice, shame she only has one song!). I liked the set and I'm assured that the lighting was very good. So overall I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that we went.
We got in about half 11 and went to bed. Got up a bit late this morning but I didn't have anything urgent to do today. I did some bits of work this morning and rang the Inland Revenue about the letter I sent them a couple of months ago. The man said that they had got the letter but 'I don't know why nothing's happened about that, I'll have to get someone to ring you back.' Grr. They owe me over £200 I think (I was on PAYE while I was at Telefocus, finished working there at the end of January, and since the tax was worked out over the entire year I paid too much). While we were eating lunch it started thundering and Emma and Livvy turned up for a cup of tea. They have gone now so time to do some more work. Lovely.
So yesterday I had a meeting about this pie website. I have spent the last fortnight or so programming it and it does lots of cool stuff but all they cared about was how it looked. It's nice that they took my word for all the programmed bits but I was looking forward to demonstrating it and showing off a bit. It's not live yet but as soon as it is I will let you all know so that you can go and look at the pies.
The meeting was at noon and it was very quick so I was home by 1pm. I got changed and had some lunch, then I had a bit of work to do before Mark's parents arrived at about 2:30pm. We all walked up to the station and got the train into Kings Cross. There, we took the tube to Covent Garden and walked down to Charing Cross, where we met my parents and Mark's sister Susan. Mum and Dad had been to Tate Modern and to a crypt. Susan had just finished work.
We went to the Pizza Express on the Strand. They had my favourite (cannelloni with spinach and ricotta) and it was very nice. Then we had ice cream and I got chocolate sauce on my arm and Mark laughed at me. Mum told me about how they are going up to Coventry today (Friday) to look at the hotel that Jen and Ram are booking for their wedding next Easter. She has promised to take some photos for me because the hotel website doesn't have very many.
And then we walked down the Strand to the Adelphi Theatre and saw Evita. It was very good. I had seen Evita before, a UK tour in about 1995, but I couldn't remember a lot of how it was staged, although I have a CD so I know all the words. We have the film on DVD as well but I'm not fond of it as they made a lot of cuts. I was pleased because the London show was very close to the original show. Although, one thing - on my original concept album, there is a song called Eva's Sonnet, which is a proper sonnet (14 lines, ends with rhyming couplet etc) set to music. And in the show, the programme said 'Eva's Sonnet', but she only sang the last half of it, therefore making it NOT A SONNET. Hmpf.
The woman playing Eva, Elena Rogers, was very good most of the time, and is a fantastic dancer. Her voice was a bit screechy at times though and occasionally her accent (she's Argentinian) was a bit much. Philip Quast as Peron was excellent. And Matt Rawle's Che was a bit wimpy at times but he grew on me and in the end I think he was very good as well. And so were the ensemble (the girl playing Peron's mistress had a lovely sweet voice, shame she only has one song!). I liked the set and I'm assured that the lighting was very good. So overall I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that we went.
We got in about half 11 and went to bed. Got up a bit late this morning but I didn't have anything urgent to do today. I did some bits of work this morning and rang the Inland Revenue about the letter I sent them a couple of months ago. The man said that they had got the letter but 'I don't know why nothing's happened about that, I'll have to get someone to ring you back.' Grr. They owe me over £200 I think (I was on PAYE while I was at Telefocus, finished working there at the end of January, and since the tax was worked out over the entire year I paid too much). While we were eating lunch it started thundering and Emma and Livvy turned up for a cup of tea. They have gone now so time to do some more work. Lovely.

4 Comments:
At August 18, 2006 6:11 pm,
Anonymous said…
I've just read your entry so now you have at least two readers :)
Jennifer's wedding is next Easter? Congratulations Jennifer, I am sure you will be reading this too!
At August 18, 2006 6:11 pm,
Anonymous said…
Oops that was me, I'm sure I typed my name ......??!!!
At August 18, 2006 9:05 pm,
Helen said…
Hi Anna!!!!
You might have to wait until we get back from Paris for the photos, but I took lots.
Bye for now xxoxoxoxoxo
At August 21, 2006 12:59 pm,
Jennifer said…
Thanks Sarah, yes I am reading this, Anna has lots of readers! It's at Coombe Abbey near Coventry.
Post a Comment
<< Home