Part 3 - as promised!
I'm sorry it's taken so long, but I've been a busy girl this week! And I can't tell about all the things I've been doing until I finish blogging last weekend. So without further ado: Part 3 of Jen and Ram's Wedding.
Mark and I went over to the Coventry Hilton, after a slight detour because the satnav initially sent us to the middle of the industrial estate. When we got there it was very busy but we managed to find Ram and he took us up to the room where Jen was getting ready. Ram got changed and went downstairs, then the hairdresser arrived and did mine and Jen's hair. She also did Jen's make-up and she and some of Ram's relatives helped her get dressed.
A short while before the wedding ceremony was due to start, the Hindu priest came up to the room with Mum and Dad as they had to do a short ceremony before the actual wedding. He said some prayers and lit some incense. Then we all went downstairs. Mark, Mum and Dad went into the room where the ceremony was taking place and sat down. Tom and I had to walk in with Jen. So when we were told it was time to go, we walked in with her, one on each side. Tom went and sat down next to Mark and I went to do the same but was redirected and told I had to sit on one of the chairs under the mandap. So I took off my shoes and sat where I was pointed.
The wedding ceremony took maybe an hour and a half. The actual ceremony would have been quicker, but the priest explained everything in English as he went along, and the photographer kept stopping everyone to take pictures. What surprised me a bit was that a lot of people didn't seem to be paying much attention to the actual ceremony, they were talking and wandering in and out. I didn't have to do much except sit there and at one point, Mum and Dad had to pour water over Jen and Ram's joined hands and I held a plate underneath.

Mark took this picture. Ram is leading Jen round the fire. Tom is standing to the left, he had to hand Jen a leaf and some rice to throw into the fire.
After it was all done we went back outside into the hotel foyer and there was champagne and food. And I took some photos.


Next it was outside to take some official photos.

Ram and Jen with Mum and Dad

Ram and Jen with Tom and me
The photos took a long time, so after we weren't needed, Mark and I went into the hotel bar and had a quiet drink. About 5pm we were all called into the main room for the reception. The room was huge and it was full of people. There was a dancefloor set up and about thirty tables. After everyone was in and sitting down, the wedding cake was set up in the middle of the dancefloor and Jen and Ram came in and cut it (all my photos of that came out really badly so you'll have to imagine it).
Then they came round and served us with our starters. The tables all had little carousel things in the middle so they put the dishes on there and you could help yourself. There was samosas, spring rolls, spicy potatoes and some other things that I couldn't identify but were very nice. All the food was vegetarian which was great for me because it meant I could try everything, but not so good for Mark.
After the starters it was the disco. Everyone got up and had a dance, even Mark. After a while went back out to the hotel bar and Mark got some chips for his tea. Then we back in and had another dance.
The main meal was served last. There was rice, naan, and several different types of vegetable curry. Then dessert, which was some yummy Indian sweets and wedding cake. After dinner was over everyone started leaving so we said goodbye to everyone and headed back to Flitwick.
I'm all blogged out for now so I will tell you all about the rest of my exciting week later.
Mark and I went over to the Coventry Hilton, after a slight detour because the satnav initially sent us to the middle of the industrial estate. When we got there it was very busy but we managed to find Ram and he took us up to the room where Jen was getting ready. Ram got changed and went downstairs, then the hairdresser arrived and did mine and Jen's hair. She also did Jen's make-up and she and some of Ram's relatives helped her get dressed.
A short while before the wedding ceremony was due to start, the Hindu priest came up to the room with Mum and Dad as they had to do a short ceremony before the actual wedding. He said some prayers and lit some incense. Then we all went downstairs. Mark, Mum and Dad went into the room where the ceremony was taking place and sat down. Tom and I had to walk in with Jen. So when we were told it was time to go, we walked in with her, one on each side. Tom went and sat down next to Mark and I went to do the same but was redirected and told I had to sit on one of the chairs under the mandap. So I took off my shoes and sat where I was pointed.
The wedding ceremony took maybe an hour and a half. The actual ceremony would have been quicker, but the priest explained everything in English as he went along, and the photographer kept stopping everyone to take pictures. What surprised me a bit was that a lot of people didn't seem to be paying much attention to the actual ceremony, they were talking and wandering in and out. I didn't have to do much except sit there and at one point, Mum and Dad had to pour water over Jen and Ram's joined hands and I held a plate underneath.

Mark took this picture. Ram is leading Jen round the fire. Tom is standing to the left, he had to hand Jen a leaf and some rice to throw into the fire.
After it was all done we went back outside into the hotel foyer and there was champagne and food. And I took some photos.


Next it was outside to take some official photos.

Ram and Jen with Mum and Dad

Ram and Jen with Tom and me
The photos took a long time, so after we weren't needed, Mark and I went into the hotel bar and had a quiet drink. About 5pm we were all called into the main room for the reception. The room was huge and it was full of people. There was a dancefloor set up and about thirty tables. After everyone was in and sitting down, the wedding cake was set up in the middle of the dancefloor and Jen and Ram came in and cut it (all my photos of that came out really badly so you'll have to imagine it).
Then they came round and served us with our starters. The tables all had little carousel things in the middle so they put the dishes on there and you could help yourself. There was samosas, spring rolls, spicy potatoes and some other things that I couldn't identify but were very nice. All the food was vegetarian which was great for me because it meant I could try everything, but not so good for Mark.
After the starters it was the disco. Everyone got up and had a dance, even Mark. After a while went back out to the hotel bar and Mark got some chips for his tea. Then we back in and had another dance.
The main meal was served last. There was rice, naan, and several different types of vegetable curry. Then dessert, which was some yummy Indian sweets and wedding cake. After dinner was over everyone started leaving so we said goodbye to everyone and headed back to Flitwick.
I'm all blogged out for now so I will tell you all about the rest of my exciting week later.

3 Comments:
At April 15, 2007 4:28 pm,
Helen said…
Glad you got round to Part 3 I kept checking! So what other exciting things have you been up to, I am intrigued???
At April 15, 2007 6:44 pm,
Anonymous said…
I kept checking too! It looks lovely - you must put the rest of your pictures somewhere soon!!
At April 20, 2007 8:34 am,
Anonymous said…
Moose, you still haven't told us about what you were up to last week!! :p We're intrigued ......
Post a Comment
<< Home