beeptwo

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Jane Eyre, cats and fish

Wednesday already? Surely not. Although that's good really because we are going to see Wicked on Friday, yay!

So what did I think of Jane Eyre on Sunday. I have rather mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it was good to see a modern version of the story and I can see why they changed various bits and rewrote others. As a television programme it was good. But as an adaptation of the novel, it basically had the same plot but not much else. I think I identified two lines that were identical to in the book. And I like the book and the language in it so it was quite disappointing to find it had all been updated, some of it seemingly quite arbitrarily (for example, when Mr Brocklehurst asks Jane how she should avoid going to Hell when she dies, the line was changed from 'I must keep in good health and not die' to 'I must keep in good health and take care not to fall ill').

So, yeah, I'm kind of 'meh' about it. But I'll still be watching next week (sorry Mark).

On another topic.

The last couple of weeks a stray cat has been hanging around our house. I may have encouraged it (but it looked SO hungry). Last week Mark saw it with some little kittens a bit further down the road, then I didn't see it for a few days. Yesterday it turned up again (big eyes outside the patio door, it knows a soft touch when it sees one) and I thought I needed to do something so today I rang round some cat rescue places. The Cats Protection League are full but Feline Rescue in Flitwick should have a space after the weekend (and somewhere in Watford has a space but I'm not driving a carfull of cats to Watford). The problem is that of course we need to have the cat and the kittens in the same place. The lady in Flitwick said that the cat will probably bring its kittens to see us if we put out food for them. I liked that lady because she said I was kind and thanked me for trying to help the cats, whereas the other places seemed to find it a bit annoying that someone would ring up a cat rescue shelter and want you to rescue a cat - I mean, they were nice about it, but they wished you hadn't.

As to fish....Finn died. I'm going to take everything out of that tank, clean it good, then put nothing back in it except water (the plants were already out, the rocks are going too). And the water treatment stuff of course. Damn animals making my life difficult.

4 Comments:

  • At September 27, 2006 10:24 pm, Blogger Helen said…

    Have you thought of buying your fish somewhere else?

     
  • At September 28, 2006 11:51 am, Blogger Anna said…

    Well, Mark gets all his fish from there and they are all fine. But you may have a point.

     
  • At September 28, 2006 1:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with you on the Jane Eyre dialogue! Sorry about your fishie :-(

     
  • At September 28, 2006 4:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oooh can I have a Jane Eyre rant now?? I too was most upset that they had unnecessarily changed the best quote from Jane's childhood! Also I think the young Jane was a little bit too podgy, she was meant to be frail and thin.

    I still think they deviated from the script far more than they needed to. But I did have two giggling fits - firstly when Mr R said "Sit! No not you Pilot!" and secondly when he said "Overrated" !! Brilliant!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home